Wednesday 24 April 2013

DO NOT DESPISE THE LITTLE THINGS!

In the old testament a verse reads, "A day of little things, no doubt, but who would dare despise it? " Jesus did not despise the little things. When he set out to change the world, he chose only a dozen people to work with - not a cast of thousands.
The more i study our lord's ways of networking the more convinced i am that he is and still the greatest network -er. Now, Jesus could have gone ahead and recruited himself a battalion of disciples for his mission on earth, but what did he do? He sponsored  just a few teachable dozen & packed value into every minute, every glance, every question & every encounter he had with them because he knew that out of this teachable few will eventually come the "CHRISTIANDOM " that we have today!
        I see such an impatience with & disregard for little things in business that it disturbs me. Only yesterday, we were at a meeting with Monica Ross (our lovely sponsor) and the McDermids (the founder of our team, THE VISION GROUP) where they pointed out to Gugu & i the importance of having one on one meetings and mini meetings before going into the halls and churches. (Thank God for their wisdom & experience in our lives) .
I worked once with a boss who didn't want me to spend so much time with clients. "Go after the big clients"he said to me. "Leave the peanuts to the others. " And yet when the numbers were totalled, my combination of small sales outtotaled his few big ones. I thought to myself (as i resigned to start my own company), "Dinosaurs became extinct -yet rabbits still abound "
Aren't many of us hounded by a sense that only the big things count? I personally have had to battle a mindset that said whatever i did had to be the biggest and the best.  I couldn't just write a simple piece, it had to be a masterpiece & that wasted my time and resources as a journalist. Every creative person should know not to despise the little things -
* The first brush stroke
* The first word on paper
* The first phone call to a prospective client or friend .... they all count!
    My Lord and my saviour did not spend his time creating operations manuals that could be franchised and duplicated by the millions. He hurried to see a little girl who was sick, focusing on getting her well;he knew that one boy's loaf of bread had all the necessary ingredients to feed thousands. Jesus kept it simple! & so should we! After all, he is our sponsor, indirectly as it may be.
Olu Akpata (Zûr)
www.prayerlinez.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment